Thursday, July 9, 2015

HEART PUZZLE

HEART PUZZLE
I apologize for taking so long to provide info on how to administer this activity.  Hopefully my brilliant readers have found this self-explanatory, but even the best of minds need a little assistance at times...So here it is!!

HEART MAPS/PUZZLE/ WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO NAME IT...is a fun creative way for a person to identify and explore things they hold true to them.  It can be a representation on their inner most thoughts and feelings.  It can be completed in different ways.  You decide what prompts.  I choose different prompts for different clients depending on age, intelligence, maturity, the goal/objective we are working toward in that particular session, 

Okay, so this activity is quite simple.

1. First you draw a large heart.  I strongly suggest you, the adult, draw the heart outline otherwise you may go through 10 pieces of paper.  In my experience children tend to struggle with the concept of "LARGE".  Be sure the heart is large enough to fit writing.  The younger the child, the larger the writing may be. 

2. Next you draw squiggly lines throughout the heart to give the illusion of a PUZZLE. 

3.  Next you provide the prompt. Think about what you are working toward with the individual. And ask them to write down your list of prompts somewhere near the outside of the heart.  Basically they are making a “map key.”  I strongly suggest you give 3.maybe 4prompts. You want the participant to be able to list more than one thing for each topic/prompt. (see photo)
Examples…
SELF ESTEEM= I AM GOOD AT/ I CAN WORK TOWARDS/ MY ACCOMPLISMENTS
FAMILY THERAPY= I LOVE/ I TRUST/ I CAN RELY ON/I WISH I KNEW BETTER
GETTING TO KNOW ME= I LIKE/I HATE/I AM GOOD AT/MY DREAMS/ MY FEARS

4. Now, ask them to assign a color to each.  In my example above I have things I do not like represented with the color red because in real life I cannot stand the color read.  Things I want are represented with green because it is my favorite color.  I decided to get creative after doing these over and over.  I made each prompt layered.  Feelings I enjoy are in light green and if I wish to experience them more I surrounded the light green with darker green.   You can choose to allow the person to be creative and do their own thing or be more directed and insist they choose 1 color per prompt.

5. Finally, process and discuss. You can also allow the participant to make a heart depicted what they wish their heart puzzle/map will look like once they have completed treatment. Or what they are hoping their heart will look one day if you are not using this for counseling/therapy.

SUMMARY
1.        LARGE HEART
2.      SQUIGGLY LINES
3.      LIST OF PROMPTS
4.      COLORS
5.       PROCESS/DISCUSS

Thanks for stopping by!!

AYLA 









No comments:

Post a Comment